On 17 July 1919, Post 23 was granted a charter by the American Legion National Headquarters and became the first post in Monmouth County. The 27 charter members included some of the most prominent families of Keyport, some of whom still reside in Keyport today.
In 1929 the Post 23 incorporated in the State of New Jersey and purchased land for its post home. Shortly after the post gave an easement to the borough of Keyport to put a road on its land by the waterfront & riparian rites to construct a pier behind its property. In consideration of the easement the road was named American Legion Drive. In the 1950’s the building was partially used as a hand set 4 lane bowling alley. It was converted back to complete post use in 1962.
Over the last 100 years the post has supported the community, children & veterans. Here are just some examples:
- Contributed tens of thousands of dollars to schools, fire & rescue squads, veterans, etc.
- The post color guard has led every parade in the boro.
- The post sends 4 boys to Boys State every year
- Supported Boys & Cub Scouts
- Supplied food & funds to the food banks
- Provided scholarships for incoming college freshman
- Supported & visited veterans nursing homes & hospitals